9 Nightmarish Home Reno’s with a Horrible Return on Investment
- Swimming Pool – A luxury item that, for the cost of installation, will definitely not improve your home value dollar for dollar. Plus those maintenance costs might be viewed as a deterrent as well.
- Faux Grass – Niche items like faux grass are not popular enough for buyers to equate a higher property value than an immediate comparable with regular grass.
- Sunroom – Another niche item but this one is highly dependent on climate and demographic justify the value in its presence.
- Garage Re-model – Man caves are very popular these days but are considered superfluous to most buyers, especially large families.
- Custom Closet Re-model – Closets may seem like a small project but can get away on you so approach this one with severe caution.
- Master Suite Addition – Although it would probably bring the home to the top of the list among most house hunters, the cost may not be substantiated as a benefit over having not completed the addition at all.
- Home Theatre – A theatre is luxury item that may not speak to the majority of buyers, especially in towns or cities with a smaller population.
- Combining Bedrooms to Enlarge One – In this scenario, empty nesters may opt for this but it does not improve your home value in the slightest and often ends up lowering property value.
- Chasing Trends – Shag rugs and stipple ceilings are a great example of accents to your home that may repulse buyers in a few years so choose wisely.